Make a basil gimlet by shaking basil-lime vodka, lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker; strain into a martini glass and garnish with a basil leaf.
- 2 C Vodka
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 lime thinly sliced
- Thoroughly rinse and pat dry all of the basil.
- Combine ingredients in a clean, widemouthed jar.
- Wipe the rim clean and seal tightly.
- Store the jar in a cool, dark place, shaking it every day.
- After 1 week, sample the alcohol. If it hasn't reached the desired flavor, shake and taste it every day or two until you are.
- Strain the alcohol and discard the basil & lime.
- Return the strained alcohol to the jar and seal tightly.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma's The Art of Preserving