Kosher-Style Dill Pickles
Cold and crispy garlicky pickle slices.
- 1.5 lbs pickling cucumbers such as Kirby
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 3 C water
- 1 C distilled white vinegar
- 2 T kosher salt
- 9 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 bay leaves crumbled
- 1 t dried dill weed -or- dill seeds
- 1/2 t black peppercorns
- 1/2 t whole fennel seeds
- Trim stem and blossom ends off cucumbers, and slice them into 1/4" slices; divide the cucumber slices evenly among 3 pt jars, then add 2 dill sprigs to each container.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, reducing the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the hot brine over the cucumbers, being sure to get 3 cloves of garlic into each container.
- Set the jars aside, uncovered, to cool for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Refrigerate the jars for 1 hour, then cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Yummy, but could be stronger. Adapted from Farm to Fork