Garlic Scape Pesto
This recipe is a great way to preserve your garlic scapes, since pesto freezes well. Add to pasta, or add to mayo for a yummy grilled veggie sandwich. You can even add it to a vinaigrette. Spread on crostini for bruschetta...it's good on so many things.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus add to taste at the end
- 1 pound garlic scapes chop roughly
- 1 handful sun-dried tomatoes chop roughly
- 1 cup sliced almonds raw, unsalted
- 4 sprigs parsley rinsed, leaves & tender stems only
- 1 handful basil rinsed, leaves & tender stems only
- 1/2 cup parmesan 56 grams
- 1 cup extra-virgin-olive-oil
- Lightly brown & saute the onions & garlic scapes in olive oil with a little salt.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes & sliced almonds. the goal is to soften the dried tomatoes and to toast the almonds a bit.
- Set pan aside to cool before processing.
- Roughly slice parmesan, then process to crumble it up. Add the contents from the pan, then the herbs to the processor bowl.
- Pulse and add olive oil through shoot to finely puree and get to a semi-liquid state. If it's still too thick, add some water. I actually added all olive oil, which turned out to be most of a 17 oz bottle. It was good, due to the good olive oil I used, but I'm not sure that's what one is supposed to do...