Fresh Shell Beans
This is how to prepare fresh shell beans, like flageolet or cannellini, for salads, or to add to pasta, or with sauteed vegetables, or even to make a bean spread, like humus.
- fresh shell beans
- bay leaves
- Shell beans from pods, rinse lightly
- In a saucepan, add enough lightly-salted water to barely cover the beans, or use low-sodium chicken broth; bring to simmer
- Add some onion, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley
- Simmer beans until tender (about 20-30)
- Beans are then ready for salad, pasta or added to sauteed vegetables. Or puree with olive oil for a spread.