If you can only put up tomatoes in one way, this is the way to go. Homemade tomato paste has an amazing flavor, and really adds richness & depth to recipes calling for tomato paste.
This recipe scales up or down easily to use as many tomatoes as you want. I use ice cube trays to freeze individual 1-oz portions for use in recipes.
- 4 lbs tomatoes cored & roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- a few tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Cook ingredients on the stove top until softened
- Puree softened ingredients (immersion blender works great for this)
- Pour the tomato sauce into a roasting pan (non-stick is best, with straight sides)
- Roast at 300 until it thickens, stirring periodically
- When your spatula leaves a clear path when sweeping the bottom of the pan, it has reduced sufficiently
- Pour into ice cube trays, freeze, then vacuum seal the cubes