This is a great side dish, but I like to make it with tofu to make it a one-dish meal. Warm, caramelized and savory meal; good for cold fall or winter nights.
Roasted Winter Vegetables
- Winter Squash any variety will do: butternut, delicata, hokkaido Stella Blue, Red Kuri, Sweet Keeper, Tahitian Winter, Sweet Dumplings, Uchiki Kuri, Lakota
- Vegetable oil to coat
- Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, move oven rack to middle position
- Cube winter squash, cauliflower & tofu (if using). Cubes should be uniform and about 1" square
- Chop onion
- Combine vegetables in a large mixing bowl; add the tofu last so it doesn't get munched up.
- Drizzle oil on top then add spices to taste. I like a tiny bit of cinnamon with lots of cayenne, salt & pepper.
- Mix to get everything covered in oil & seasonings, then pour into large, flat, glass baking dish. You want as much of the food touching the glass as possible, since that's where you get good browning & caramelization.
- Roast until everything is nicely browned and the cauliflower & squash can be easily pierced with a fork