Roasted Tomatoes = YUM!!
These are great to have frozen, available at a whim: defrosted and broiled with cheese on baguettes or served on top of chicken breasts with mozzarella…or sliced and added to pasta. Many options here. Or soup! Roasted Tomato Soup is yummier than regular old tomato soup.
- 4 lbs Tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- minced garlic
- Wash, core and trim tomatoes
- Halve the tomatoes horizontally (at the equator)
- Arrange the tomato halves, cut-side-up, in a roasting or baking pan
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, oregano, and minced garlic
- Roast at 400 F until juices in pan have evaporated and the tomatoes have browned to your liking (1-2 hours)
- While they are roasting, periodically move them away from the edges of the pan to make sure they don't scorch
To freeze altogether: pack into pint- or quart-size container, then cover the top with olive oil to keep head-space to a minimum.