Refrigerator pickle recipe
- 1 lb med cucumbers pick first thing in the morning, for best flavor; select ones that are free of mold, insect damage, blemishes and soft spots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp whole mustard seed
- 1 tsp fresh dill weed
- 1 whole dried bay leaf
- 2/3 C brown sugar
- 6 1/2 Tbs white distilled vinegar
- 6 1/2 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 3/4 C water
- more fresh garlic
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- a few chopped jalapenos or a habanero
- Ancho peppers will add a peppery boldness
- chipotle chiles will give the pickles a rich & spicy smoked flavor
- Thoroughly wash the cucumbers and assemble the spices.
- Cut the cucumbers into spears or slices and place in a 2-quart container or jar with a lid.
- Add the garlic, peppercorns, mustard seed, dill weed, and bay leaf.
- Stir together the brown sugar, vinegars and water.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers and shake the jar well to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least 24 hours for the fullest flavor. They will keep up to 3-months in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Organic Gardening, Aug/Sep 2010