This dough can be made up to 2 days ahead, wrap and store in the refrigerator. The less handling, the better the texture will be. Also, keeping the fats & dough chilled is important to flaky pastry. Great for pies.
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling), lightly spooned into the measuring cup
- 3/4 cup cake flour, lightly spooned into the measuring cup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, slightly heaped
- 10 tablespoons lard (cold)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold)
- 1 extra-large egg, cold, beaten (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Combine the flours and salt in a food processor and process for 10 seconds
- Add lard in 20 blobs and cut in the butter in 20 chips; pulse just until the largest pieces of fat are pea size, about 12 times
- In a bowl, blend the egg, ice water, and vinegar and pour over the flour mixture; pulse until the mixture masses to the point of being crumbles, 8-10 times
- Turn the crumbles on to the counter and pat into a ball (should still have some blobs of cold fat)
- Slice the ball in half and pat each half into 5" rounds; wrap in foil and chill for at least 30 minutes, (2 hours is better) before rolling out 1/8" thick.
- If patching is necessary, press dough together without water.
The Plant Lady http://www.theplantlady.com/