Savory roasted figs are an excellent accompaniment to roasted meats; the sweet roasted figs can be served for dessert with either a soft cheese, like ricotta, or ice cream…or put them on a salad with a balsamic vinaigrette…or serve with crackers & cheese…or crusty bread with extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar dipping sauce…apparently I could go on…
This is a great way to put up figs for the winter. Just pack them airtight and freeze. You could also cover them with some olive oil to keep the air out.
Roasted Figs - Sweet
- 1 lb Figs
- 4-6 sprigs Thyme
- 2 T red wine or other liquor Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 1 T brown sugar
- 2 T honey
- 3 inches of fresh lemon zest
- Wash and trim figs, then slice once lengthwise.
- Toss figs with the herbs, sweeteners, lemon zest, and liquor.
- Lay the figs cut-side-down in a baking dish, or if you are doing this in a barbecue, use a rimmed baking sheet.
- For soft & juicy figs, cover with foil and roast at 400 degrees F for 15-20 mins - until they are softened and cooked through.
- For firmer, caramelized figs, roast them uncovered for 30 mins at 400.